Edinboro University has gone through a few significant changes in the manner in which it is governed. The school opened in 1857 with the financial backing of the community. Citizens of Edinboro who contributed were given a vote for members of the Board of Trustees. At the time, the Board was directly involved in many of the operations of the school from hiring to student discipline. In 1914, the state of Pennsylvania purchased the school from the stock holders. The Board then no longer elected by Edinboro citizens. When the school was designated a university in 1983, the Board of Trustees became the Council of Trustees.
These records date back to 1860 with handwritten minutes taken in bound journals. The collection is primarily made up of minutes, but within the minutes of the early years is additional financial information. Personnel decisions and even decisions regarding student discipline are included in the early years. In 1983, the Board of Trustees became the Council of Trustees. Included for much of the 1980’s through 2007, are just the minutes. After this are included the entire packet that the trustees recieve. These include committee reports, financials and more.