The Alumni Office is instrumental in publishing alumni directories and attempting to track down lost alumni as well contacting them to make financial contributions in order to continue to build up the University. Alumni support is very import to a school as it reflects the positive experiences of the former students and the strong ties that still bind them to their former school. Alumni throughout the years have donated many projects designed to better the campus. The first listing of alumni was published in 1919 and was consistently published by the Alumni Association beginning in 1929. In 1959, Edinboro's local Alumni Association became an active member in the Council of General Alumni Association of State Colleges, which was designed to foster support for the Pennsylvania State Colleges. It was at this time the school's name changed again to Edinboro State College. More recently the alumni Association supported the school, now known as Edinboro University of Pennsylvania, through monetary contributions which provide scholarships, student loans, and support for athletics. The Alumni Association holds annual spring and summer Legacy weekends, conducts Distinguished Alumni and Art Achievement award programs, hosts regional gatherings for Edinboro alumni around the country, holds special programming during Homecoming weekend and sponsors a "Senior Send-off" celebration after commencement. They have also continued the tradition of publishing an alumni newsletter which today is called Edinboro University Magazine. This newsletter highlights significant achievements of alumni as well as current events happening at the university and updated personal information on alumni.
Over the years, the location of the Alumni Office has changed. Academy Hall, built in 1857 for $3,500, was sold to the trustees of the then Edinboro Academy. This was home to the offices of the Alumni Affairs and Alumni Association from 1962-95. The present Alumni House was begun on May 23, 1994 and dedicated the following June at the annual Alumni Weekend. At the dedication Foster Diebold said "we have needed a modern and spacious facility for our many alumni programs and activities for a number of years." It is a 3-story brick structure that cost $350,000 and holds space for the Alumni Office as well as conference and meeting rooms. The build is located on Meadville Street next to the President's residence.
Leaders in the early years of the association include, Dorothy Cooper Allshouse, granddaughter of the third principal of Edinboro Joseph A. Cooper. Justina Baron, an alumnus of 1917 and one of the school's librarians, served as Executive Secretary from 1937-1962. Following Miss Baron two people served as Executive Secretary of Alumni. This changed to a Director's title in 1978. The names of the people who served in these capacities are as follows.
Executive Secretary of Alumni
William A. Cornell 1962-1973
Marvin Ellis 1973-1978
Emil Magdik 1978-1981
Donald Hoffman 1981-88
Patricia Murphy-Rivera 1988-89
Coleen Holmes 1989-94
Janet L. Bowker 1994-2003
Jon Pulice 2004-Note written by Barry Gray, Dave Obringer